- They have been trained since childhood to believe that the “Bible is God’s Word” rather than the more modern and accurate statement “The Bible contains God’s Word”. How could any thinking Christian believe God directed or approved of all the heinous acts in the Old Testament? They may have occurred as acts of man, but my God did not will them to be done.
- They fear that to question or to assign portions of the Bible (especially in the O.T.) to allegorical or metaphorical interpretations is discrediting the Bible.
- They hold rigid literal interpretations of God’s Word and are not open to considering new scientific information.
- They feel that fundamental traditions are more valid than new scholastic interpretations of scripture.
- They may feel that it is a sin to not except the entire Bible as it is literally written.
- They may think they are better Christians by accepting the Bible as written which also allows them to not deal with current scientific knowledge that may be complex and difficult to understand.
- There may be other reasons.
My research resources include fifty books written by: scientists, theologians, historians and even some who are both scientists and theologians plus numerous conversations with senior Methodist ministers and several professors of Christian theology.
- What does the Bible say about Creation vs. evolution? (altruistico.wordpress.com)
- More Evidence the Bible Is Gods Word (jpfinn7.com)